Thermal Imaging cameras facts!
- Thermal imaging devices are handy as a tool to verify what the inspector would already know but must not be relied as the only means to determine a problem.
- Thermal Imaging devices have been designed to pick up temperature variations only!
- They are not an X-ray machine (as some unscrupulous people will try and lead you to believe).
Don’t take my word for it, do your own checking on the manufacturers sites and you will find nothing mentioned about seeing through walls nor guarantees that they will pick up leaking, seepage, rising damp and termite damage (current or otherwise).
If anyone states otherwise, demand a written guarantee from them!
- Although we may use a thermal imaging camera in our inspections, we do not rely upon them solely on making a conclusion on any particular problem without drawing on many years of experience.
- We also use other more effective tools, such as a moisture meter and powerful LED torch to reinforce comments on a potential problem before including the comments in the report.
Thermal imaging devices can be mislead the buyer into thinking there is nothing wrong, this can be a very costly mistake!