Learn why veranda’s need flashing to avoid seepage and rot.
Problems caused from veranda’s without flashing causing seepage and how to avoid. QBIS.
Lack of flashings fitted to veranda’s is a common fault that can easily be avoided
- Seepage will occur from this veranda to the living areas below, this is dependent on the severity of a storm, direction and driving rain.
- This can cause sagging and damage to the lower level ceiling linings.
- Rotting of timber (if consistent leaking occurs).
Builders often underestimate the driving force of rain, regardless of a veranda size!
Veranda’s without flashing causing seepage and how to eliminate.
- Fit flashing’s where the veranda is attached to the house should eliminate the fault.
- In some cases this cannot be achieved where a wall frame of a Queenslander is exposed without also fitting weatherboards . The weatherboards would need to extend over the flashing.
In most cases, this can be easily rectified by a competent tradeperson at a reasonable expense.