Garage of unit with seepage through slab above garages, of a unit complex in St Lucia, West of Brisbane,
Seepage above unit garage, identified by Peter Weddell, owner/operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service and Queensland Building Inspection Service, QBIS.
Photos of a recent inspection to a common area of a multi-storey unit complex in St Lucia, a western suburb of Brisbane.
- The underground garages have a concrete slab above them.
- Concrete slab has inadequate waterproofing (or none) also soil placed over it.
- Continual seepage through the slab above is causing the concrete to deteriorate. This will eventually cause concrete cancer, otherwise known as spalling.
Someone has sealed the cracks from underneath, this is not how to address the problem.
Any problem must always be fixed at it’s source (beneath the grass and soil above) not, as in this case, after the moisture has penetrated and caused deterioration to parts of the concrete slab.
Seepage above unit garage.
- Make sure your building inspector looks at the common property (where possible).
- Do not rely solely upon the Body Corporate records for determining problems.
- Body Corporate managers are not building inspectors and may not be aware of serious faults.
- Speak to unit owners or tenants for any problems they may be aware of, especially if they live below the unit you are considering buying.
This serious problem should be identified by competent building inspectors. Only ones that are prepared to look at the common property, where it can be easily accessed.
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au