Illegal bedroom in a new apartment. In New Farm, an inner City suburb of Brisbane.
New apartment with illegal bedroom. Identified by Peter Weddell, owner/operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service and Queensland Building Inspection Service, QBIS.
- Ceiling height being too low and not complying with building code requirements.
- No fixed ventilation from exterior of the building.
New apartment with illegal bedroom. Important points:
- Advertising brochure listed this room as a bedroom.
- It did not meet the building code requirements for use as a habitable room.
- The room was located in an area with no possibility of achieving direct light and ventilation to the exterior
- This misrepresentation may seem pedantic to mention in a report, until the buyer decides to sell it.
Some relevent material that may help.
Govt: ABCB Required height of rooms
Consider the implications down the track. You are paying for a three bedroom unit and getting one bedroom less for your money!
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au