How inferior plumbing can cause serious problems for home owners.
Problems inferior plumbing can cause. QBIS.
These fittings a common choice for a handyman because of ease of use, without the need for specialist tools to connect them. Not the sort of plumbing connections you would want in your roof or hidden within walls and/or the sub-floor, when they burst!
Low pressure fittings are not suitable for connection to mains water system.
This is a pipe and fitting system designed for use with low pressure irrigation and water tanks only, in this case it had been connected to mains water. It is only a matter of time before connections burst. Not what you would want whilst away or during the night!
Professional choice to avoid bursting water pipes.
Photo of Rehau brand of pipe and fitting. These are a much more reliable choice of fitting also the choice of most licensed plumbers. These fittings require a special compression tool for securing the joints. Not likely to be fitted by a handy person.
Worth knowing: For & against using PVC water pipes:
- PVC is unlikely to create water hammer.
- Much cheaper product.
- Easier to bend.
- Fewer joints.
- Quicker fitting.
- Requires less skills and equipment to fit.
- Prone to damage from vermin/rodents.
- More likely to leak at joints.
For & against using Copper water pipes:
- Very durable.
- Less likely to leak at joints.
- Not likely to be damaged by vermin/rodents.
- More expensive.
- Likely to create water hammer (dependent upon water pressure).
- Requires greater skills to shape and install.
- Can be affected by concrete and frame movement.
- Can corrode internally from effects of products in water.
Opinion on copper pipes vs PVC.
Copper over PVC: Copper pipes are much more durable for the long term and far less likely to leak, if properly secured and correctly fitted by a qualified plumber.
QBCC: Home owners guide to plumbing matters
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au