Roof faults and associated problems they cause.
What you need to know about faults with a roof and what to do about it. QBIS.
Roof fault of sealant applied to sides of sheeting
- Definite indication of roof leaking on a regular basis.
- Consistent leaking of roof’s is a major concern for causing rot to concealed timber.
How to determine locations of roof leaking.
- Stains to timber.
- Below rusted roof sheeting.
- Buckets placed within the roof.
- Water stains to ceiling lining.
- Sagging of ceilings.
Sometimes leaking from a roof is impossible to determine unless it is raining at the time.
Rectification required to roof leaking with recommendations
- Replace the old iron roof sheeting with zincalume.
- Have more securing fitted to the roof structure for tying down.
- Fit insulation below the roof sheeting.
- Fit ventilation to the roof and eaves.
Avoid using spray-in insulation, it has a tendency to accumulate around electrical fittings which can cause potential fire hazards.
Is roof ventilation worth fitting?
Yes. If fitting roof vents, I would recommend fitting a pipe with a cap on top, rather than a spinning roof vent (these are prone to leaking). Also refer to my post on roof ventilation for more information.
Gov: Home repairs and maintenance
Qld Gov: Storm damage
Roof gutters overflowing can cause rot to concealed timber of eaves over the long term, how to avoid.
- Fit slots to front of the gutter to allow water to escape to front rather than back.
- Have more downpipes fitted.
Important note: If fitting more downpipes, more stormwater pipes are also required to avoid backwash occuring.
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au