Learn about roof ventilation and which ones are less likely to leak.
Does roof ventilation work? Yes, provided they are correctly fitted. QBIS.
- How and why does roof ventilation work?
- What type of roof vent should I use?
- How many vents are required?
- What would be most effective locations for roof and eave vents?
- Natural convection working for you.
How and why does roof ventilation work?
- Natural convection from hot air rising.
- As hot air escapes through roof vent it is displaced by cooler air from eave vents.
- Release of hot air being replaced with cooler air will decrease roof interior temperature which is likely to help lower house interior temperature.
- Helps reduce moisture and mould forming within roof.
What type of roof vent do I need?
First of all, roof vents do not have to spin for them to work effectively. Spinning roof vents are more likely to leak. A low profile vent will work equally with far less chance of leaking. Spinning of a roof vent does not make it work any better than a fixed vent.
How many roof vents are needed?
Depending on the roof area, but usually not many, as natural convection will work well, even with one or two roof vents. Vents are also required to the eaves for cooler air to enter interior of the roof for the roof vents to work effectively.
Effective locations for roof and eave vents:
Roof vents: As close to the peak of the roof as practicable without being obtrusive.
Eave vents: Close to corners of the building also possibly along the sides.
Design and size of the roof would be contributing factors for determining optimum location of roof and eave vents.
Does roof ventilation work? Worth knowing:
- From my experiences I have found that spinning roof vents are notorious for leaking, due to the slotted vanes around them.
- Other types of roof vents are equally effective and far less likely to leak even if they don’t spin.
Natural convection working for you:
Roof vents do not have to spin to work as hot air rises and cooler air from eaves displaces the hot air with natural convection, simple!
Gov: Passive design and cooling
NSW Gov: Roof-space-ventilation
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au