Poor design causing defects to a home, in Albany Creek, a Northern suburb of Brisbane,
Defects to home from poor design. Inspected by Peter Weddell, owner/operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service.
Poor design causing issues with this dwelling:
- The exposed bearers have no protection from the weather.
- Securings to steel supporting columns with inadequate roof screws, where coach bolts were required.
There is a high degree of risk from partial collapse of the building when the screws rust and the bearers rot.
- Fit 12mm galvanised coach bolts through all timber and steel.
- Fit flashing over top of the timber for protection.
- Monitor and maintain exposed timer on a regular basis.
There won’t be very much support when these small screws rust. What were the designer and builder thinking!
Defects to home from poor design.
- Dwelling faults from bad design can easily be avoided. When considering practical building & design methods at the planning stages, before construction of the building commences.
- Builders must question designers, if they see a fault with their design they are obligated to recommend and impliment a practical solution.