How decks can be dangerous and how to alleviate.
Learn about deck dangers around brisbane also how to avoid them with practical solutions on maintaining decks. QBIS.
Why it is not advisable to construct a deck without a roof above it.
- Exposed timber rots very quickly (even if treated).
- Railings and structural supports deteriorate rapidly without roof for protection.
- Not usable in rain or summer sun.
Decks that are rotting can be potentially dangerous and may collapse, causing serious injury or death. Often without warning!
Deck dangers around Brisbane.
Flooring, joists and bearer of this exposed deck are rotting significantly causing a potentially dangerous situation of collapsng.
Unsafe deck and railings.
This rotting deck was very dangerous for anyone to walk on. Railings are also rotting and offer very little support, dangerous for anyone leaning against it.
Rotting stairs to deck.
Rotting exposed timber stairs and railings that are attached to the deck. These stairs are unsafe to walk on, they could easily collapse under a persons weight. Just imagine if someone was also lifting a fridge up these stairs and the consequences if they gave way.
Some tips when having deck built.
- Construct roof above with eaves for protection.
- Make periodic inspections and maintainence, especially softwood!
- Most important monitor securings, railings, main supports for signs of deterioration.
- Lookout for rotting of main supports also columns for rust to their bases.
Otherwise you have built a money pit, that requires constant upkeep and replacing prematurely.
Deck maintenance and what to look for:
- Rotting, especially softwood.
- Joints where trapping of water may occur.
- Bolts, brackets for rusting.
- Securings of railings
- Look for unevenness of deck, this may indicate movement.
- Bracings, if deck is tall.
- Rusting of column bases or rotting of post supports.
If in doubt, have the structure and railings checked by a licenced contractor.
Materials to consider using in deck construction.
- Securings that are “Hot Dipped Galvanising” not zinc plated.
- If possible, high grade Stainless Steel bolts, nails and brackets, especially near Pools.
- Galvanized columns.
- Treated hardwood.
- Quality paint or oil.