FREE building reports that cost you considerably with their omissions,
Costly FREE building reports, courtesy of Peter Weddell, owner operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service.
The rusted column above was only one of many that were not included in the sellers (vendor report) that were passed onto prospective buyers for “free”.
BE WARNED, discount the following advice at YOUR PERIL or you are likely to suffer the consequences!
Just a few photos of problems omitted from a “free” vendors (seller) report, the ones agents handout to unsuspecting buyers
Much higher than usual moisture meter reading to a slab, indicating rising damp. This is possibly due to lack of a moisture barrier below the slab also from seepage.
Moisture readings should be around 200 or less.
Lower weatherboard must extend down and cover the top of the slab edge to avoid seepage causing rot to bottom of the timber wall.
Rotten floor joist with new flooring fitted over it, the joist should have been replaced.
Balcony-deck PDF safety guide:
Not one of the above problems were not identified in the sellers vendors report issued to prospective buyers “for FREE”
- Vendor reports can prove to be costly if serious faults have been omitted in the “free” report.
- Don’t expect any Building or Pest report given to you by a seller or real estate agent to be accurate or unbiased.
- Or be prepared to pay rectification costs of any items that were not identified in their report.
Costly FREE building reports.
- Always employ Building or Pest Inspectors that are independent of the seller and agent.
- Employ two separate firms, independent of each other.
- Check to ensure your Building Inspector has a builders licence and experience in building.
- Make sure your pest inspector currently operates a pest control business.
- Do not use a Builder with a pest control license.
Builders build houses, they do not have the experience nor background to carry out an acceptable pest report.
It is not worth the risk!
Never accept advice from anyone that has not done the work (for a living) and their knowledge comes out of a book!