Ceilings that are sagging beyond repair.
The causes and rectification required to ceilings that are sagging beyond repair
This problem was identified by Peter Weddell, owner/operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service and Queensland Building Inspection Service, QBIS.
Potential danger of collapse:
The inhabitants of this 3 year old house were not aware of the potential dangers of the sagging ceiling linings above them.
The longer this problem is left without being re-secured the greater potential of collapse.
- Ceilings linings get to a point where they cannot be effectivly resecured and requiring replacing.
- This can be costly, especially if the insulation above has to be removed.
- The sooner this serious problem is addressed, the better.
- I have seen ceilings sagging as much as 150 mm with only the cornices and light fitting stopping it from collapsing!
Imagine sitting at the dining table for a meal, and the ceiling collapsed!
The majority of inspectors often don’t mention or understate the significance of this problem. This is often due to lack of experience, negligence, and/or they consider it too minor to mention in their report.
Possible reasons for ceilings that are sagging beyond repair
- Normal aging.
- Linings used that are not suitable for ceilings.
- Insufficient securings, glue, screwing or nails.
- Ceiling battens or ceiling joist that are too widely spaced not allowing sufficient securing of the sheets.
- Roof leaking
- Tradespeople placing their boot on the ceilings.
- Weight of insulation, especially if wet from the roof leaking.
- Normal movement of the roof frame, in differing weather conditions.
A good example of preventative maintenance items noted in our reports. This alone may save you a substantial amount of money!
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au