Balcony in danger of collapsing.
Balcony collapse danger. This balcony is potentially dangerous due to height of the perimeter railings being under the Building Code requirement of 1 metre. QBIS.
Deteriorating rusting securings:
- Rusting bolts securing beams of this balcony are causing fracturing to the supporting post below the structure.
- Hot dip galvanised bolts must be used to exposed structures to help avoid this from happening over the short term.
Inadequate support below the balcony:
Bolts supporting main beam of the balcony are undersized. I recommended fitting an offset bracket secured to the brick wall where more securing was possible.
Balcony collapse danger. Important notes:
- Chemicals used in the treatment of timber will cause rust to securings of structures.
- Especially to non-plated and zinc plated securings.
- Galvanised bolts will also be affected by treatment, but will have a much greater life span.
- It is advisable to fit a water impervious barrier to top of the joists before attaching deck floor.
Balconies, verandas and decks must be periodically checked and maintained to avoid serious consequences.
Related information that may assist you.
QBCC Deck inspection guide
Qld Gov: Deck, balcony and window safety guidelines
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au