Inferior plumbing around Brisbane.
Suggestions by Peter Weddell, regarding inferior plumbing in use around Brisbane.
These fittings a common choice for a handyman because of ease of use, without the need for specialist tools to connect them. Not the sort of plumbing connections you would want in your roof or hidden within walls and/or the sub-floor !
This is a pipe and fitting system designed for use with low pressure irrigation and water tanks only, in this case it had been connected to the mains water, below a northern suburb house.
It is only a matter of time before the connections burst. This is the last thing you would want while you are away on holidays or in the early hours of a morning, imagine the damage it would cause!
Photo of Rehau brand of pipe and fitting. These are a much more reliable choice of fitting also the choice of most licensed plumbers. These fittings require a special tool for securing the joints.
Inferior plumbing in use around Brisbane.
For & against of PVC water pipes:
- PVC is unlikely to create water hammer.
- Cheaper product.
- Requires less skills and equipment to fit.
- Prone to damage from vermin/rodents.
- More likely to leak at joints.
For & against of Copper water pipes:
- Durable, highly unlikely to be damaged by vermin/rodents.
- Far less likely to leak at joints, if they are correctly fitted.
- Copper over PVC, much more durable for the long term and far less likely to leak, if properly secured and fitted by a qualified plumber.
- More likely to create water hammer.
- Requires greater skills to shape and install.
- More easily affected by concrete and timber frame movement.
- Can corrode internally from effects of products in the water.
My opinion: Copper over PVC, much more durable for the long term and far less likely to leak, if properly secured and correctly fitted by a qualified plumber.