Alterations of roof trusses causing danger of roof collapsing.
Altered roof trusses danger. Identified by Peter Weddell, owner/operator of Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service and Queensland Building Inspection Service, QBIS.
Danger of altered roof trusses, what were they thinking?
Cutting out the bottom chords of these roof trusses to fit a garage door could have proven dangerous, if not for advice from Peter Weddell on how to rectify the problem, economically.
- Bottom chords (horizontal main supports) of the roof trusses have been cut out to accommodate the tilt-door track above this garage.
- Significantly weakening of the roof structure by altering the roof trusses.
- Creating a high probability of the roof collapsing.
Economical solution to a potentially serious problem:
- Replace the concrete tiles with metal roof sheeting.
- Reinforce damaged sections of the roof trusses.
- Fit more securing to the roof structure for tying down.
More securing would be necessary to the roof structure when having roof tiles replaced with metal sheeting.
This problem was brought to the attention of the seller and fixed before it became a more serious problem.
More information that may be of use
Qld Government on Injury prevention safety/alerts/roof-collapse
Qld Government regarding Roofing Technical notes
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au