Leaking roofs causing damage and how identify.
Learn how roofs leaking causing damage can be fixed.
Roofs leaking causing damage
Leaking roof causing damage to a newly built house.
- Consistent leaking from a roof valley to a 5 year old house causing rot to some roofing timber and part of the roof truss.
- Although valleys are a very common point of water entry, this should not be happening in a 5 year old building.
- Further leaking can usually be stopped by bedding of the valley tiles (tiled roof) or fitting additional flashing (metal roof).
Common areas for roof leaking to occur.
- Box gutters.
- Spinning roof vents.
- Dormer windows.
- Split level sections.
- Vent pipes.
- Roof tiles.
- Roofs with no eaves.
Anything that extends through a roof.
What you need to know about roofs and leaking.
- Never lose sight of the fact that every roof will leak at some stages, taking into consideration the severity of some storms.
- Generally, consistent leaking is what causes serious problems, over a long period of time, but sometimes from a huge deluge of rain.
- Exact source of leaking is often difficult or impossible to determine, unless observing at the time of leaking during a storm.
- In some cases the source can easily be identified by checking the roof exterior then the roof interio.
Unfortunately it is often a case of trial and error to determine if a roof leak has been stopped.
What to do to avoid damage occurring from roofs.
- Roof’s must be checked on a regular basis by a qualified person for maintenance, especially after a storm.
- It is also important to check your ceiling linings for sagging and have them resecured or if necessary, replaced.
Warning about some roof restoration companies and their claims.
- Watch out for companies or individuals trying to sell you their products.
- Restoration of a roof cannot be 100% guaranteed against roof leaking.
- Read their disclaimers.
- Often their limited warranty is voided if someone has been on the roof to check it out, read the fine print!
I would recommend contacting a qualified roofing plumber or a roof tiler.
For independent Building Inspections Brisbane in all suburbs, Qld Home Buyers Inspection Service. qbis.com.au